ATTITUDE IS A LITTLE THING THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. ~
Winston Churchill




Monday, October 31, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Happy Halloween!  It's been such a good weekend - a fun family Halloween party on Saturday and pumpkin carving with our boys on Sunday.  To me, Halloween is the kickoff for the holidays.

Even though summer is my favorite season of the year (I'm a warm weather girl) I do love this time of year as well.  One of my favorite things to make with the abundant supply of ripe tomatoes is fresh homemade spaghetti sauce.


My mom gave me a basic recipe when Brad and I were first married.  Over the years I've modified the original recipe a little bit and this has become a family favorite of ours.  I love the way our home smells when I have a pot of this wonderful sauce simmering on the stove. 

 HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil
1 lb mild Italian sausage
1/4 cup finely diced onions
6-8 garlic cloves, crushed and diced (to taste)
8-12 ripe tomatoes, diced or pureed in a blender to desired consistency (may also use 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes without flavorings added)
4 Tbs oregano leaves
3 Tbs Basil leaves
2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
additional 1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
In a large sauce pan, cook diced onions until they're soft.  Add crushed garlic and Italian sausage and cook until browned.
Add diced or pureed tomatoes, spices, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 60-90 minutes stirring occasionaly - this causes a chemical change in the tomatoes and cooks off extra liquid.  Stir in remaining olive oil immediately before serving and serve over hot pasta with grated Parmesan cheese.  This Garlic Bread Recipe from a previous post goes great with this spaghetti.  Mmmm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum... my mouth is watering!