ATTITUDE IS A LITTLE THING THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. ~
Winston Churchill




Sunday, November 13, 2011

Traditional Pumpkin Pie

Fall baking is the best!  One of my favorites this time of year is pumpkin.  I LOVE pumpkin - pies, cookies, cakes, fudge, pancakes, etc...  You get the idea.  Today, I was craving some pumpkin pie.  I have two really good recipes I make every year.  The first one I love to make is Pumpkin Streusel Pie which I posted last November. 

My other favorite recipe is Traditional Pumpkin Pie.  Each year it's hard to choose between these two and I usually end up with a slice of each.  I discovered this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine years ago - it's also found here.  So for all the other pumpkin lovers out there, here's the recipe.  :)

Traditional Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
4 to 6 tablespoons cold water

Filling
6 eggs
1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
2 cups evaporated milk

Directions
In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. On a floured surface, roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place pastry in plates; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.

For filling, beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg and ginger; beat just until combined. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into pastry shells.

Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool pies on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).

No comments: