ATTITUDE IS A LITTLE THING THAT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. ~
Winston Churchill




Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Another Favorite Recipe - Streusel Pumpkin Pie

I know I just posted a recipe for this month, but I received a request for a good pumpkin pie recipe.  I have a couple of really good pumpkin pie recipes but this one is my favorite.  I found it in a Taste of Home magazine many years ago and my family insists that I make it every Thanksgiving.  You can find the recipe here but I've listed it below as well.
 Streusel Pumpkin Pie

CRUST:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
4 to 5 tablespoons water

FILLING:
1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling (make sure to use the pie filling and not canned pumpkin)
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 egg, lightly beaten

STREUSEL TOPPING:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold butter

In a bowl, combine flour, pecans and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half. Roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate; place pastry in pie plates. Flute edges and set aside.
Combine pie mix, milk and egg; pour into pastry shells. For topping, combine brown sugar, flour, pecans and cinnamon in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Cover edges of pastry loosely with foil.
Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
(Hint: In a hurry, I use the Pillsbury pie crusts you can find in the refrigerator section at the grocery store)

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yum! Thanks for posting this!
I am so going to make it for my fammily!